Monday 31 December 2012

Double page spread article

My paint.net file for my front cover would not open up propely for me to continue with my cover, so while I try to get that fixed I decided to do a draft for my double page spread article.
My article is based mainly around the truth about the music industry, I could not find an article like this to help for inspiration, which could be a good thing as this means my article is unique and orginal meaning people are likely to want to read it. I did however like the layout and format of the Cosmopolitan intviewers, although this is a fashion magazine they often intview pop artists, so I looked at some of these interviews for inspiration.
I noticed all of their interviews start with a little introduction followed but a longer paragraph setting the scene and then on to the question and answer section. However my interview is only a double page spread and they often have up to four pages dedicated to the interview so for I had to make my introduction smaller.
I also tryed to use informal vocabulary in the artist repsonse as in many interviews they are very formal and chatty. I also used [laughs] as I noticed this is another convention of interviews.


 

 
Beat will never forget the first time we met Selena. Even back in 2008 when she had just entered the pop industry it was clear she was different, it was her way or no way; her way seems to have worked as fast forward 4 years and she is now storming the UK charts. 3 number one albums, 6 UK number ones and 4 Brit awards is evidence enough that Selena is clearly doing something right; here Selena opens up about her views on the pop industry.

Its been a while since we last saw you, how’s life in the fast lane?
“[laughs] manic, I rarely get a day to myself anymore. The toughest part of my job is the fact i'm constantly on the go, don’t get me wrong I love it but sometimes I just want to sit on my sofa turn on the soaps and relax.”

It must be rewarding though when you’re performing to thousands of people screaming your name?
“I absolutely love performing; it’s my favourite part of the job by far! It just gives me a massive buzz to hear so many people singing my song back to me… honestly I always say words can’t describe the feeling an artists gets on stage! Knowing people have played money to come and see you  espically when money is so tight at the moment, it all worth while.

 
I think it’s safe to say you have now become the ‘nation’s sweetheart’, it must be great having so much support?
“It’s amazing. Unlike some artists I’m completely myself, I don’t have an alter ego created by my record label. So the fact that so many people accept me and have taken to me for who I am is so well is overwhelming, I get some many supportive comments, it just proves that being yourself is much more rewarding then being a robot.”

You mentioned that some artists have an ‘alter ego’, what do you mean by this?
“[Pause] many record labels, especially in the pop industry, my own included, try to create a persona for their artist, a personality they think will sell. They want their artist to be the loudest, the funniest and happiest as they believe that’s what pop fans want. They want to sell a personality instead of a voice. My own record label tried to persuade me to be more ‘bubbly’ but I was like ‘No, this is me I want to make music people will enjoy not sell my personality.’”

Are many artists completely different behind the scenes then?
“Oh god yes, it’s so entertaining to see the contrast between their two personalities. I remember the first time I was backstage at V festival and I watched one of the artists really work the crowd and they found her hilarious, she got back stage and she was a miserable git! I’m used to it now but when I was a newbie to the industry I was just amazed at how ugly the music industry really is.”

Have you ever changed bits of your personality to gain more fans?
“I’ll never play the game. To me the most important thing is the music, I want people to listen and enjoy my music, people liking me as a person is just a bonus. I want to keep it real, being an artist is about making good music, I find it so sad that the industry is now becoming focused on personality rather then talent. Too many artists are liked for their ‘personality’ rather then their voice and for me that just isn’t right, if that’s what they want their career to be based on then that’s their choice, but personally I could never do it ”

We love how you stand up for yourself. What plans do you have for the future?
“The next 12 months are very busy for me, i’m working a lot in America as i’m currently trying to get myself established out there, so Ill being doing a lot of small performances and interviews just to get my name out there. Its very exciting, almost like starting again I suppose but just in a different country, Im nervouse though because im used to having so much support in the UK and in America I feel as though I'm alone.

 We have heard you already have a fan base over in America!
“ Well my first single ‘Love never dies’ went to 24 in their Chart, which I was slightly disappointed with after reaching number one in the Uk with that single but then I realised it’s a completely different ball game over there. My fan base is relatively small at the moment so it’s going to take a while but i’m very persistent I won’t stop until I succeed!”

 
Do you have anything planned for your UK fans?
“Oh of course, like I said the next 12 months are extremely busy for me, but I will ensure I make a few appearances for my UK fans. In fact I am Headlining V festival this year and Ill also be at the ITunes festival, which is extremely exciting as I LOVE festivals, the whole atmosphere is electric!”

 
Do you have anything special planned for your performances?
“Cheeky! [Laughs] I can’t tell you that as then it wouldn’t be a surprise, you will have to wait to find out! watch this space.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment